Friday, July 2, 2010

Vacation and tummy surgery

Well I went on my 10 day vacation. And experiment I did! I can eat sugar without getting sick. I thought I could only eat 4grms of sugar. Of course the whole point is to loose weight so I need to make it once in a special while. Like last night, we went out for dessert and I had hot chocolate and carrot cake, I ate 5 bites. I have also had a DQ ice cream cone, a whole SKOR candy bar and trifle, just a bit. It is recommended that I not eat red meat. Well I had a small carnitas taco and was ok BUT I shared a pork,egg and potato burrito and boy was I sick and in pain. I can still do popcorn in slow bites but I am not going near corn, lettuce or rice the other no-nos.
My biggest problem during the trip was protein drinks, and I will admit here (but not to my mother) that I have not had one in over a week. I tried, I really did. But first, they changed the taste of the chocolate mix. ewe too chocolaty I have to use less powder (which means another drink, drag) Then I made them in the morning at the hotel, but the plastic mixer cup rode in the car all day. Two of them are ruined with nasty stink (anyone know how to get odors out of plastic) they are $9 each! So I just got in the habit of breaking my habit. I must get 80grams of protein a day, one normal drink is 27grms. I should be drinking two normal a day. I hope I don't have to do blood work for a while. I found a third mixer in my room when I got home, I emptied it today (had about an inch of dead drink) I won't even describe the horror of the smell and the dishwasher didn't save the three of them!
Another problem I have been having is eating too fast. I was an Olympic champ in this category prior to surgery. When I eat to fast I have terrible tummy pains and nausea. The night we got home I had two meals in a row inhaled, thus sick for 6 hrs. I have a stopwatch on my phone, maybe I should time between my bites.
The other painful moments (or hour) is when I am hungry, which happens every 2 hours. Probably would be better if I was drinking my protein! But I haven't been so tummy aches until I get those two or three bites. Not a good idea when traveling through Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and S. Texas - way too much bare land for hours between food stops. Next time I will pack granola bars not just licorice and I will do my protein drinks for sure once and hopefully twice a day. Now I need to go make one. Just had Nalley's chili we brought from Utah - yum - and this time I ate slow hehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment